Macaroni Salad is a timeless and versatile side dish that complements any meal, making it perfect for picnics, barbecues, or as a simple weekday accompaniment. This original recipe provides a fresh take on the classic, ensuring a delightful combination of flavors and a refreshing dish for any occasion.
For the Salad:
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
For Seasoning (Optional):
- Paprika and additional black pepper for extra flavor and garnish
- Cook the Macaroni: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the elbow macaroni and cook according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool completely. Set aside.
- Prepare the Dressing: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper. This is your creamy dressing base.
- Combine Ingredients: In a large serving bowl, combine the cooked and cooled macaroni with the chopped celery, red bell pepper, red onion, sweet pickle relish, and hard-boiled eggs.
- Add Dressing: Pour the creamy dressing over the macaroni and vegetables. Gently toss everything together to ensure even coating with the dressing.
- Chill and Serve: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, allowing the flavors to meld. Just before serving, garnish with fresh parsley and, if desired, a sprinkle of paprika and black pepper.
- Serve Cold: Macaroni Salad is best when served chilled. Enjoy your delicious, homemade macaroni salad as a delightful side dish or a light, refreshing meal.
Conclusion: This Classic Macaroni Salad recipe offers a delightful balance of creamy and tangy flavors, making it a versatile side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses. Whether you’re hosting a picnic, BBQ, or just craving a satisfying salad, this original recipe is the perfect choice. Enjoy!